Wednesday, August 20, 2008

If we're all chiefs then who are the indians?

So I am halfway through the second week of school.  The kids are adjusting as well as can be expected to lots of new rules from a new principal and new teachers....  The hot weather and the fact that I run up down the hallways in it are beginning to get to me.  I am worn out by three o'clock and then add to that I am getting up an hour earlier than I used to and getting home almost an hour later.   I know that eventually my body will adjust.  

On another note, I am entertaining the idea of working with a group that helps educate local kids that are HIV positive on how to prevent AIDS.  Our school sponsors a group and I thought that this may be a good opportunity to make a positive impact because God knows, I am not making a difference teaching these kids music.  At least not here.  

I had dinner with a fellow american tonight and we were discussing the personalities of all the international hires here.  It's an interesting situation.  We all have HUGE personalities and all desire to be the big chief but no one wants to follow.  Amazingly enough, if you know me, you will be surprised to hear that I am (for right now) the most mellow and reserved.  I am the one who doesn't quite fit in.  I am more conservative than most of them and I have different ideas of fun.  

I, to my astonishment, have become an indian.......

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kari,

Somehow, someway, you are making a difference in a child's life whether you realize it or not. If that child does not realize it now, he or she will in the future.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

I agree with Sarah. The great impact comes just from being ~ not individual acts. You are impacting the children. From the way it sounds we could see them on SUPER NANNY some day. JK You inspired my children in more ways than you know. Taylor loves the Ella poster you sent for her to "babysit" until your return. And you impacted me also ~ I "came out" and said how much I really, really loved LEAF -