Sunday, August 10, 2008

Este is muy divertido......

I am really excited to have my first really positive day in Panama.... 
Let's start with yesterday:  After a disappointing day at school (that's another story) I left school with Andrea, Jodie, and Marilyn and we embarked on an adventure to get manicures and pedicures.  Over an hour later we reached the city (it's only 15 miles) and we waited for another hour..... long story short, it was fun to just hang out with worrying about time and to-do lists.... PLUS a mani/pedi only costs 14 dollars.  If that doesn't make you happy, I'm not sure anything could.  We went to dinner afterwards at a great Lebanese restaurant with Mike and Jon and just relaxed.  We got up this morning and LEFT THE CITY to go to the beach.  Now, you think, Kari you are already living on the water and yes, that's true BUT the water in the city is so polluted that you can't swim in it.  You have to get an hour or so out of the pollution.  Anyways, we drove over the bridge of the Americas (it's the first time I've seen it despite being here two weeks) then headed to the beach.  It took us about an hour and a half.  We stopped at a veggie stand, drive through the town of Playa del Palma and found the black sandy beaches.  It was absolutely beautiful and HOT most of the day, rained in the afternoon (we found shelter at a bar with .80 beer.....) and swam again before leaving.  It was so interesting to see the mountainous terrain that reminded me of Asheville sprinkled with Palm trees, bananas, and coconuts.  The people were mostly friendly and all entertaining.  We saw a movie after we came back to the city.  It was a complete day of fun.  No responsibility, no stress over language, no worries.... really, no se preocupe.  I needed just one day like this.  A reminder as to why I came to Panama.  Tomorrow, I'll prepare for the first day of school.
 
I'll try to post a picture of the beach tomorrow, but for tonight..... I'll sleep well, slightly sunburnt, exhausted, and on my way to happiness(I think).

No comments: