Monday, August 11, 2008

First Day of School

Well.  I made it through the first day.  It was very hectic in the morning because of the construction/various ages of children/rainy weather/and overall disorganization.  I only had three classes today because kindergarten does not stay all day.  I traveled to all three classrooms and found this both difficult and an ineffective way to teach.  We are so cramped for space that some teachers are sharing rooms.... so my first class today was while another class worked on the other side of the room.  Ineffective and ridiculous.  My initial observations of the kids are this: they have been allowed to live without structure and discipline and so now they seem to think all decisions made by anyone else can and will be ignored.  They better just hold on to their seats if they think that is how I will work.  I have gotten the same response from other teachers that have taught in the US and Canada.  Overall, in Panama, there is a total lack of structure which is evident by the absence of a set curriculum, two recess times scheduled during the day, and a willingness to let kids make decisions for themselves all the time.  Now, I think the kids are sweet and I can't begin to tell you what it's like to have 10 different nationalities represented in a classroom.  It is very interesting.  I am hoping tomorrow that classes will be more organized.  We'll see.

On a similar, yet different note.  Our furniture that we ordered STILL has not arrived a week later even after a promise it would be delivered on Thursday.  I had to have a co-worker from the school call to track them down and make them swear they would bring this evening.  Fingers crossed.  I am reminded over and over that I am in Panama and it's just the way things are done.  Maybe, before I leave, I'll get the hang of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Girl...you are so missed. Today was the staffs first day back at Hominy Valley. We had the breakfast (you know how we love food) and discussed the summer. Remember, no matter where you are, you stress over the first few days. Hang tough, it's what you are meant to do. Love ya - Danelle